- Take the Dev Type Quiz to determine if you are one of the Underappreciated Software Developers.
- Explore the responsive infographic to get a birds-eye view of all 12 Underappreciated Developer types and their special abilities
You can think of the 12 types as mapping to existing terms used to describe software developers today.
- The Assassin is often called a 10x developer, a Rockstar developer, or a code ninja.
- The Tank is most often found in development managers.
- The Wizard is the “really, really smart” or “genius” developer.
- The Ranger is often called a “Tech Enthusiast,” or a developer obsessed with new technology.
- The Mechanic is often in a role of DevOps or an Architecture.
- The Shapeshifter is often called, “Really, really helpful” or a “Great team player.”
- The Rogue is often in a tech lead role, especially in research and development or at a startup.
- The Sage is often in the role of a tech lead, architect, principal engineer, or development director.
- The Telepath, The Hunter, The Healer, and The Ghost, tend to be very senior developers, as they all require an immense amount of real-world development experience. This group of four are the truly underappreciated software developers, to the point where the industry doesn’t even have names for them other than “old.”
It is very unlikely that anyone can be all of the types. Most developers will only be a full match for one or two types, but most developers will also be a partial match for several types.
For those wondering where the names came from, they are all derived from role playing game character class types.